Saturday, September 25, 2010

T-Rex





T-Rex
use an f hook throughout
Head
Rnd 1: 5 sc in a circle
Rnd 2: 2 sc in each sc around (10)
Rnd 3: *1 sc and then 2 sc in next st* repeat around (15) Start stuffing
Rnd 4: *2 sc and then 2 sc in next st* repeat around (20)
Rnd 5: *3 sc and then 2 sc in next st* repeat around (25)
Rnd 6: *4 sc and then 2 sc in next st* repeat around (30)
Rnd 7: *5 sc and then 2 sc in next st* repeat around (35)
Rnd 8-15: sc around (35)
Rnd 16: *decrease then sc 5* repeat around (30)
Rnd 17: *decrease then sc 4* repeat around (25) Put in eyes, Sew on mouth and nostrils
Rnd 18: *decrease then sc 3* repeat around (20)
Rnd 19: *decrease then sc 2* repeat around (15)
Rnd 20: *decrease then sc 1* repeat around (10)
Cut thread and leave long end to sew to body. Finish stuffing.

Body
Rnd 1: 3 in a circle
Rnd 2: 2 sc in each st (6)
Rnd 3: sc around
Rnd 4: 2 sc in next st then sc 5 (7)
Rnd 5: 2 sc in next st then sc 6 (8)
Rnd 6: 2 sc in next st then sc 7 (9)
Rnd 7: 2 sc in next st then sc 8 (10)
Rnd 8: 2 sc in next st then sc 9 (11)
Rnd 9: 2 sc in next st then sc 10 (12) stuff as you go
Rnd 10: *2 sc in next st, sc 5* repeat around (14)
Rnd 11: *2 sc in next st, sc 6* repeat around (16)
Rnd 12: *2 sc in next st, sc 7* repeat around (18)
Rnd 13: *2 sc in next st, sc 8* repeat around (20)
Rnd 14: *2 sc in next st, sc 9* repeat around (22)
Rnd 15: *2 sc in next st, sc 10* repeat around (24)
Rnd 16: *2 sc in next st, sc 7* repeat around (27)
Rnd 17: *2 sc in next st, sc 8* repeat around (30)
Rnd 18: *2 sc in next st, sc 9* repeat around (33)
Rnd 19: *2 sc in next st, sc 10* repeat around (36)
Rnd 20-24: sc around (36)
Rnd 25: *decrease then sc 10* repeat around (33)
Rnd 26: sc around (33)
Rnd 27: *decrease then sc 9* repeat around (30)
Rnd 28: *decrease then sc 8* repeat around (27)
Rnd 29-30: sc around (27)
Rnd 31: decrease then sc around (26)
Rnd 32: decrease then sc around (25)
Rnd 33: decrease then sc around (24)
Rnd 34: decrease then sc around (23)
Rnd 35: decrease then sc around (22)
Rnd 36: *decrease then sc 4* repeat twice then sc 1 (17)
Rnd 37: *sc 3, decrease* repeat twice, then sc 2 (14)
Rnd 38: *sc 1, decrease* repeat three times, then sc 2 (10)
Cut thread and finish stuffing.

Feet (make 2)
Rnd 1: sc 8 in a circle
Rnd 2: sc 2 in every sc around (16)
Rnd 3: *sc 1 then sc 2 in next st* repeat around (24)
Rnd 4: sc around in back loops only (24)
Rnd 5: sc 3 *ch 3 sc in 2nd ch from hook, sc in next st, sl st in original st, sc in next 2 st* repeat 2 more times then sc rest of stitches (24)
Rnd 6: sc around (bend toes forward and stitch their base st with a sc as you go by them) (24)
Rnd 7: sc around (24)
Rnd 8: decrease, sc 7, decrease, sc rest of round (22)
Rnd 9-15: sc around
Rnd 16: decrease, sc 9, decrease, sc 9 (20)
Rnd 17-19: sc around
Cut thread and stuff.

Arms
Rnd 1: sc 5 in a circle
Rnd 2-7: sc around

On the body during the rounds vary where you increase and decrease to avoid getting lines in the stitching. For the convenience of writing the pattern I put all of the increases and decreases around the same spots. It is better to vary where they are within the round to give a better finished look. If you are ambitious you could make a bigger tail. I think if I make another one, I will. If there are any errors in the pattern, please let me know. It is the longest pattern I have posted so far, so it possibly might have errors. Thanks!

19 comments:

  1. It's so cute! I'm just finishing up now- getting ready to assemble. I noticed a possible error at the end of the body. nothing critical- but the total stitches for rows 36 - 39 seemed off by one. row 36 felt like it should have had 17, but it had 18, so no problems, but then the next two rows had 14 and 9 instead of 15 and 10. But if you're familiar with making amigurumi, this wasn't really a problem. But if you make a second one you might want to double check the counts- I would also suggest adding the eyes and face a few rows before - after row 17, so it's a bit easier to work with. i would also say to start stuffing the body (mostly the tail) before the opening gets too small- after row 35.. so it's easier to even out the stuffing, and then you can always add more stuffing at the end.

    besides those little things - this pattern is AWESOME! by far one of the best t-rex patterns i've seen. not too complicated, and the end product is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right. Thanks! I have checked my numbers and changed the pattern where it needed it. I am glad you liked him. My son loves to carry his all over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI! I'm new at crocheting. I love this dinosaur. But I had a question I wasn't sure how to do that first one. Line 1 what does it mean 5sc in a circle? Can u explain? Thanks So Much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Valerie,
    I wondered the same when I started. What you need to do is watch some youtube videos on the magic circle. That is what I did. I had to watch one of those videos a dozen times but finally I figured out how to do it. For any of my patterns you need to start with the magic circle so you don't have a hole in your first stitches. With the t-rex you will want to use five stitches in the circle then from there on out you crochet in spirals and each time you come around it counts as a round.
    I hope this helps. Happy crocheting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! Great pattern I recently made one for my son, but only days into it I find myself wondering if you have any washing suggestions? That would be awesome! Thanks! Again very clear and way easy and fun to make! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Elizabeast, I have just been washing ours in with our clothes. He looks a little battered and fuzzy, but my son doesn't care. It probably depends on the yarn you use and the stuffing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had the hardest time trying to follow this pattern. I'm done trying to make it work. It's so cute in the picture but i found it impossible to carry out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I have a question about this part:
    *1 sc and then 2 sc in next st* repeat around (15)
    *2 sc and then 2 sc in next st* repeat around (20)

    Do you mean 1 sc in the first stitch, then 2 sc in the next st? Or do you mean 1 sc on its own, and 2 sc in the next st, skip one? Because if you start with 10, and do follow the former method, you do end up with 15, but on the next round you end up with 30, not 20 stitches. I'm a little confused :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sc in one stitch and in the next stitch do 2 sc in that same stitch. Repeat this around for 15. On the next round, sc in one stitch, sc in next stitch, and in the third stitch sc twice, then repeat this pattern around. That way you are single crocheting two times and then doing and increase (single crocheting twice in the same stitch) You only increase five times in both rounds so the stitch count only goes up by five, you just have your increases spaced first one stitch apart, then two stitches. I hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am trying to make this for my math teacher/golf coach because he is an awesome role model and i wanted to thank him with something that he really likes, which happens to be dinosaurs. The problem is, im left handed, and the right handed videos on the magic circle are really confusing me. Any help with this dilemma? thank you so much! (this was my favorite dino when i was browsing the internet. very cute!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Elise Lewis: Planet June has a great left-handed tutorial on the magic circle. Here it is: http://www.planetjune.com/blog/tutorials/magic-ring-left-handed/
    She always makes a right-handed and a left-handed version of all of her tutorials so if you look through them you could see others too, it you get stuck on any other stitches. I hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice post with useful information! Boo

    ReplyDelete
  13. So, to put it together you have to go by the picture?

    ReplyDelete
  14. What has been your suggested yarn? Worsted weight or Light? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Worsted weight for this pattern would work better I think.

      Delete
  15. I like the instructions on trex but how do you do the nostrils?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Doing body isn't coming out. Only 3 in circle comes out looking like arms

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello, just curious how to do row 36? My counting seems off so i am not sure if i am doing the right thing :(

    ReplyDelete